Music Education and Outreach
Through education and outreach programs, the La Jolla Symphony & Chorus enriches the lives of students and residents throughout San Diego by offering opportunities to learn music, perform on stage, interact with talented musicians, and attend concert events. The LJS&C also supports emerging talent through its Young Artists Competition and an annual commission for composers of new works.
- Young People's Concert is an annual event tailored for young eyes and ears and enjoyable for the entire family. Free with commentary from the podium by the conductor.
- Community and School programs (K-12) include interactive performances for large groups, individual lessons, and after-school programs.
- Young Artists Competition, one of the longest-running competitions of its kind in California, awards talented young musicians from San Diego and Baja California $6,900 in cash prizes and provides valuable performance opportunities for winners.
- Thomas Nee Commission, named in honor of LJS&C's Music Director Emeritus, offers an annual paid commission for an orchestral or choral work to graduate composition students of the University of California, San Diego.
- Open Dress Rehearsals are available free of charge to music-lovers of all ages. School teachers and parents of school-age children are particularly encouraged to attend.
- Pre-Concert Lectures, given by the conductor and guest lecturers, are free to concert-goers and offered one hour prior to concert times.
- Outreach Concerts are held in San Diego churches and temples, bringing musicians from the La Jolla Symphony & Chorus to the community.
- La Jolla Strings a subset of our orchestra, performs at community events throughout San Diego.
The LJS&C Music Outreach and Education program are made possible by the generosity of many individuals and the support of our sponsors.